Join me on this Journey!

Dallas, TX
Sharing with the you the things I learn along the way...

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

fearfully and wonderfully made

For the past several months I have been volunteering a crisis pregnancy resource center, working with women to educate them and provide support during a really scary time. I absolutely love it and a highlight for me has been working with clients on a consistent basis. Sarah (I changed her name...) is one of those clients. I met her on one of my first nights at the clinic, she came in for an appointment to confirm her pregnancy and get help. One of the other volunteers and I took her into the counseling room and started talking to her about her situation. Sarah came to the United States from Kenya to go to college in 2010 was hoping to go back after she finished, until she found out she was pregnant. We were able to talk to Sarah about her options and she signed up for an education program that the center offers to learn about pregnancy and parenting and earn baby clothes and other items at the same time. For the next several weeks, I helped Sarah through the education program. We watched videos together about nutrition, fetal development, and the delivery process. But one day Sarah just stopped coming. The volunteers and I tried to call her but her number had been disconnected. I was disappointed and though I would probably never see her again.

But just a few weeks ago I received a note that Sarah had called one of our other volunteers. We reconnected with her and found out that she had just had a healthy baby girl! This past Saturday I was able to visit Sarah at her apartment and meet her little girl. It was so fun to see the baby and be reminded of just how amazing life really is. I sat with Sarah for several weeks while this little baby was growing inside of her and to be able to hold this baby was so fun!


For you created my inmost being; 
   you knit me together in my mother’s womb. 
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made
   your works are wonderful, 
   I know that full well. 
 My frame was not hidden from you 
   when I was made in the secret place, 
   when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
 Your eyes saw my unformed body; 
   all the days ordained for me were written in your book 
   before one of them came to be. 
How precious to me are your thoughts, God! 
   How vast is the sum of them! 
 Were I to count them, 
   they would outnumber the grains of sand.
Psalm 139: 13-18