Join me on this Journey!

Dallas, TX
Sharing with the you the things I learn along the way...

Monday, November 15, 2010

Processing

Well I'm back from Guatemala and I have mixed feelings about it for sure. I absolutely loved my time in the country. It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been, and yet at the same time I saw so many things that broke my heart. I also met some really sweet friends and got to practice my spanish a little bit :) Today is my day off and I am trying to process through all of my thoughts now that I have been home for two days.

As the media person for the trip, I spent a lot of time observing this week. I had some great times of ministry for sure and it was such a gift to get to meet Benjamin and Yanki (see last post) but for the most part I was behind the scenes taking photos. But I think that was exactly where God wanted me, to see that ministry is NOT about me but about Him and His glory. This concept is definitely something I am thinking about and praying through...more thoughts to come later...

The other thing I am thinking about is "what's next?", "where do I go from here?"  Over 1000 school children received food, shoes, and toys this week. Here are some of the faces we saw. 






So my question is this, what happens to these kids when we get on the airplane and head back to our homes? They continue in their lives and I in mine. Somehow it doesn't seem like enough. We came in and showed them love and met their needs for a moment but there are huge gaping needs that still need to be met. What happens 6 meals later when they are hungry again? Many of these children need new clothes, a shower, and a safe place to live. There are thousands of children in Guatemala that we didn't get to meet many because they can't go to school, they have to work. What happens to those children?  It seems hopeless by human standards, but Jesus said in Matthew 6,  “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?  Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?"  How comforting is it to know that He knows them all. His heart is broken for this world and He is sending out workers into the harvest to love and care for hurting and needy people all around the world. What a privilege to be a part of God's redeeming work. All we have to do is be obedient and go! As I said earlier I got a taste of what it means to love God's people this week and I want more!

So that's where I'm at right now...these are the things God is revealing to me and showing me (a little bit at a time) where He wants me.  I don't know what the future holds for me but I'm continuing on the journey!

No comments: